Losing your smartphone can be very stressful. Not only does it get with itself the worry of buying a new smartphone, but it can also be troublesome to secure the information on your lost device. In this step-by-step guide, we aren’t going to just tell you to take the obvious steps like setting up a screen lock on your device. Mostly everyone uses biometric locks on their devices to add an extra layer of security and that can be a saver in a lot of situations. Instead, we are going to talk about Google’s Android Device Manager, which is a very useful tool for tracking down a lost smartphone. In case you haven’t as yet lost your smartphone and are here just to know what should be done to secure it better using Android device manager:
- Go to the Settings of your smartphone.
- Select ‘Security and Location’.
- Make sure that the option of ‘Find my device’ is enabled.
- Add a password, pattern or a PIN to your smartphone.
- Use biometric locks such as fingerprint scanners or Face Unlock.
- Additionally, you can download the ‘Find my device’ app on your smartphone.
Now, if you lose your device, you will be able to log out of your Google account remotely and erase all data from it. Even if you haven’t followed these steps, you can try these steps as Android Device Manager is present in all Android smartphones via Google Play Services. However, we asked you to keep the app in your phone just in case you haven’t enabled Google Play Services on your device. Here’s what you need to do if your Android smartphone is lost to recover it, log out of it or erase your data:
- Go to google.com/android/devicemanager.
- Select the device that you were using last.
- You would be able to see your smartphone’s location via a map. If it is present where you are, press on Play Sound. This will make it ring loudly and you will be able to find your device.
- In case you think it is stolen, you can press on ‘Secure Device’ to lock your smartphone and log out of your Gmail account.
- In case you have data in your smartphone that you don’t want anyone to access like credit card information or some photographs, press on ‘Erase Device’.