Chinese technology company OnePlus usually gets applauded for offering smartphones with premium specification at an affordable price. However, this time, the company has created headlines for the wrong reasons. A report has surfaced online that says that a user’s OnePlus One smartphone caught fire randomly in the middle of the night. But then, the user was able to douse the fire so the situation was under control before the handset exploded.
According to an email the user sent to the company, his device was switched off when the incident occurred and it was not even put on charging. This makes it even more strange as most other smartphones that have been reported to catch fire usually did so while they were being charged. The report has pointed out that the incident took place on July 3 at around 3:15 AM. The user has also said that the room in which the smartphone caught fire had an air conditioner which had been set to 19 degrees.
The user claims that he was woken up in the middle of the night when he smelt something burning and then saw that his room was filled with fumes. He then doused the fire using water. According to the user, the mobile phone was placed just a few feet away from him, so the situation would have been much more dangerous had he not woken up on time.
Someone I know just got saved from fatality. @OnePlus_IN @oneplus how do you explain your phone exploding out of the blue???! Kids use your phone as it’s attractively priced. Where is the responsibility to fix this? pic.twitter.com/CRgmF6RTBB
— Chaiti Narula (@Chaiti) July 3, 2019
While the smartphone is five years old, such an incident should not happen because it can put someone’s life in danger, the user said. He reached out to OnePlus and Amazon India and told them about the matter. The incident only came to light after India Today anchor Chaiti Narula took to Twitter to speak about it. She even posted images of the damaged smartphone.
OnePlus’ team responded to her tweet and said that their Critical Escalations Team is looking into the matter. They added that the team is in touch with the user and is working to solve the issue.
We should point out that it is not at all common for OnePlus smartphones to explode. This may be one among the first few incidents when such a thing has happened. But then, it is scary to think that a smartphone can explode even when it is not charging and is switched off. The reason can also be that the device is very old, but even then, it can prove to be extremely dangerous.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date using the Gadget Bridge Android App.