The storage of your Windows 10 laptop or PC will get full at a point. No matter the size of your hard drive if you save unnecessary data it will fill up the storage. Regularly clearing the disk can help free up storage occupied by temp files. When the storage is full on your computer it will slow the performance of your system.
Enable Storage sense and delete files:
Storage sense is a tool in Windows 10 that helps to clean up junk files and temporary files. The function will free up space on the drives and open up space to store other files. Using the Storage sense and timely deleting temp files will help in improving drive efficiency. Storage sense can be enabled manually or automatically. If the Storage sense has been enabled before Windows will set it automatically to delete temporary files and also the Recycle Bin. The below steps are to use Storage sense manually.
- Tap the Window icon on the left bottom corner
- Go to settings>System
- And then select storage
- Below the Storage click on the Configure Storage Sense or run it now
- When the page opens up toggle the Storage sense
- Use the Run storage drop-down menu and select During low free disk space
Uninstall unnecessary apps:
One of the reasons your Windows 10 storage is filled up is because of all the apps you have installed earlier and some are just stored with no use. Reviewing all the apps in computers and checking which is in use and which is taking space, can help in freeing up disk space in Windows 10. Check the steps below.
- Open setting on Windows 10
- And select Apps & features from settings menu
- On the Sort by option: Put it to size
- Find the app from the list which has big memory and are not in use
- Click on the app>Uninstall
Save files to drive or cloud:
Saving all your computer files in Cloud is a good way to free up all the space in Windows 10 hard disk. Some may use Microsoft one drive or Google drive but storing all your files in the cloud is highly advised. Cloud storage lets you select folders from your computers and upload them on Cloud server so that you can free space on the hard disk. The process of uploading your files differs a little according to Cloud service but it is common that the steps will be to Login>upload>Select files and upload.
Another option to free up some space in the hard disk is to clean up the disk using the legacy Disk Cleanup tool. You can remove temporary files using this function and also clean Local disk (C:) junk files. Here are steps for Disk clean up
- On the search bar next to the Windows icon search for Disk clean up and open it
- From the function that opens choose (C:) drive and click Ok
- From the same page, use Clean up system files for temp
- For the above process, you can also use command with Win+R
- For disk cleanup Win+R>cleanmgr
- For temp files: Win+R>%temp%
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date using the Gadget Bridge Android App.