Running out of storage space on your Mac can be a bothersome issue, affecting its performance and usability. However, fret not! In this comprehensive guide, we will explore practical methods to effectively free up system storage on your Mac, ensuring optimal performance and a clutter-free experience.
Table of Contents
Look into available storage space
The primary step is to check for available space and how much space has been used so far. To do this:
- Click on the Apple icon
- Then select About this Mac
3. Click the Storage tab and the system will automatically let you know how much space is in use and what it is being used for.
For a Mac running macOS Ventura:
- Go to the System Settings
- Select the General tab. Then you can see how much space is available via the Storage section.
Clear cache and temporary files
After checking the available space, you can take the next step by clearing the cache and temporary files. These files accumulate over time, consuming valuable storage.
To remove temporary files on Mac:
- Access Finder
- On the upper screen menu, press Go > Go to Folder
3. Then proceed to navigate to Caches and move unnecessary files and folders to Trash.
4. Empty Trash.
Uninstall unused applications
It is as simple as it sounds. Eliminate all applications you no longer use to create space and boost performance. Follow the steps below:
1. Сlick on Application in Finder
- Drag unwanted apps to the trash and empty the trash to increase available space.
Upload files to iCloud storage
Another safe option is to store more files in iCloud, regardless of your current OS. To synchronize your files with iCloud, follow these steps:
- Click Apple menu > System Settings. If your Mac is running on Monterey or earlier, choose Apple menu > System Preferences.
- Click Apple ID, then click iCloud
- Turn on iCloud Drive
- Next to iCloud Drive, click Options
- Choose Desktop & Documents Folders
- Hit Done.
Delete large and old files
Identify and remove large files and folders that are rarely used.
- Use Finder’s search feature to locate files larger than a specific size
- Sort the results by size and review files you no longer need
- Transfer critical large files to an external drive.
To optimize storage, follow the steps below:
- On the Apple menu, select About This Mac and then select Storage
- Finally, access the Manage option to enable Optimize Storage.
Cloud storage solutions
Utilize cloud storage services like iCloud, Dropbox, or Google Drive to store files offsite without losing accessibility. To do this, always save infrequently used files in the cloud and sync files on all other devices for easy access.
Empty trash regularly
Regularly empty your Trash to ensure files are permanently deleted.
- Click on Trash in the dock
- Select Empty Trash.
Remove language packs
Eliminate unnecessary language packs from applications to save space. By using a reliable cleaner program for Mac to manage language packs.
By following these efficient steps, you can effectively free up system storage on your Mac, optimizing its performance and providing a clutter-free computing experience. Implement regular maintenance and mindful file management to ensure your Mac remains responsive and efficient, allowing you to make the most of your beloved device!
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For the newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date using the Gadget Bridge Android App. You can find the latest car and bike news here.