Like a number of popular apps, WhatsApp first gets its features to its Beta version to test them with a limited number of users, and then rolls them out to the public. A number of features of WhatsApp are available on its Beta version for weeks before they come to the main app. The latest feature that has come to Beta is Stickers, which is yet to make its way to WhatsApp’s public app.
The reason why companies first roll out features in Beta is that it allows them get rid of any abnormalities before launching them to their entire user base. If you want to receive updates on WhatsApp before everyone else gets them, you should know that you can opt to become one. However, we must tell you that once you do get the Beta version of the app, you get app updates way more than you do now. So if you want to avoid that, you would rather stay on the public version of WhatsApp. But if getting new feature is more important to you, then here’s what you need to do to become a WhatsApp Beta tester on Android:
- Open your computer/laptop or smartphone’s browser. (It doesn’t matter which one it is).
- Go to Google Play’s website and then head to WhatsApp Beta test page.
- Sign in using the account details that you have used to log in from your smartphone.
- Press the ‘Become a Tester’ button. By doing this, you a become a tester, but you still have to download the Beta version of the app.
- To download the Beta version of WhatsApp, head to Google Play Store from your Android smartphone.
- Search for WhatsApp.
- Now when you visit the app page, it will say ‘WhatsApp Messenger (Beta)’ instead of ‘WhatsApp Messenger’.
- In the next few hours, you would receive an app update. On downloading it, you will get WhatsApp’s Beta version.
Via Google Play Store
You can actually become a Bester for the app with fewer steps too.
- Open Google Play Store.
- Search for WhatsApp Messenger an open app page.
- Scroll down past similar apps section. You would see a ‘Become a beta tester’ panel at the bottom.
- Select ‘I’m in’, and when you are asked to confirm, press ‘Join’.
- In the next few hours, you receive an app update on your smartphone. On downloading it, you will become a Beta tester and would start receiving all WhatsApp updates before anyone else does.