Sony PlayStation’s backward compatibility feature enables you to play PlayStation 4 games on the latest PlayStation 5 console. Moreover, some video game publishers allow you to upgrade PS4 games to your PS5 console to experience advanced graphics and game dynamics like 4K resolutions, 60fps refresh rate, and ray-tracing. Here are the best methods to transfer your PS4 games and save data to your new PS5 console.
Method 1: Using Data transfer technique
This is the easiest method to transfer your PS4 games and data to your PS5. Follow these steps.
- In the Settings of your PS4, verify the System Software Update section to ensure that your PS4 has the latest update.
- Connect your PS4 and PS5 to the same network.
- Go to Settings > System > System Software > Data Transfer.
- When you press Continue, your PS5 will prompt you to hit the power button on your PS4.
- You will get a list of saved games and applications to transfer. Select the ones you wish to transfer.
- The data will start getting transferred in the background. To know the transfer progress, go to the downloads section of your PS5.
Method 2: Download from PlayStation Store
This method works the best for all the games purchased from the PlayStation Store. However, you can also transfer PlayStation Plus free games from your library provided your account is active. This method is preferred by those who want to download a few titles. Unless you modify the default settings, the games will automatically be installed on your external drive.
Method 3: Use an external storage drive
For this method, you may utilise the storage drive connected to your PS4 for storing the data of your games. Follow these steps.
- Connect your storage drive to your PS4.
- Got to Settings > Devices > USB Storage Devices.
- Choose your storage drive and select the Format As Extended Storage option.
- Choose Next > Format > Confirm.
- Exit the Settings and choose Storage.
- When calculation finishes, select System Storage.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to pick the games you want to transfer to the storage drive. Once done, select Move to Extended Storage.
- Go to the USB storage devices and select Stop Using This External Storage to safely disconnect your storage drive.
- Connect the drive to your PS5.
- Go to Settings > Storage > External Storage > Games and Apps.
- You’ll find a list of games that you just transferred.
The PS5 allows you to play your PS4 games using an external storage drive. This method is generally preferred by gamers who want to install several games as the PS offers limited internal storage.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date with the Gadget Bridge Android App.