Although TV and monitor are fundamentally the same, there are some aspects where they differ. To use one as the other, you must make compatibility arrangements. However, with some knowledge, you can easily turn your TV into a monitor.
Why would you turn your TV into a monitor?
There are several reasons why you may wish to turn your TV into a monitor. These are listed below.
- Video conferencing: Video conferencing may involve several people each visible in small windows. If your TV has a bigger screen, you might want to set up the conference room using your TV and a webcam.
- Gaming: The gaming experience highly depends on the resolution. Your TV may support a better resolution as compared to your monitor. Using your TV as a monitor for gaming will surely elevate your gaming experience and performance.
- Monitor not working: Sometimes, you must compulsorily use your TV as a monitor. This happens when your monitor stops working but you can suspend your current task on your computer.
What are the initial steps?
Before you turn your TV into a monitor, follow these steps.
- Ensure that you have the appropriate cables. Although moderns TVs generally come with HDMI connections, you need to verify your TV’s inputs.
- You also need to figure out the output options of your PC. Almost all graphic cards are compatible with HDMI. However, if you own an old TV, it may only support VGA or DVI-D.
- The GPU installed in your PC must be compatible with the resolution offered by your TV. You can figure out the GPU by going to Device Manager > Display Adapters.
Price: ₹ 629
How to convert a TV into a monitor?
Once you have procured the appropriate cables and figured out the GPU, you can connect the TV with your PC. You must ensure that the TV should be set to the correct connector. If the GPU renders the resolution offered by your TV, the aspect ratio must be fine. However, if the screen looks blurry, you can manually set the resolution. Follow these steps.
- Open the Windows Search Bar and look for Advanced display info
- If you connected multiple displays, choose your TV from the drop-down list.
- Choose the Display adapter properties
- Now, select the List all modes option.
- Navigate through the list and select the optimum resolution that suits your TV.
- Select OK.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date with the Gadget Bridge Android App.