In the midst of the arrival of new and more engaging battle-royale like Apex Legends and Battlefield Firestorm, Fortnite has released a new update for its game. The new update – Fortnite 8.20 brings new features, tweaks and fixes over the last update and a new limited time mode called the Floor is Lava.
As the name suggests, in the new mode, the Floor becomes Lava. So basically, Lava rises from the lowest parts of the map and the players has to save themselves from the rising Lava, the zone and the other players as well to be victorious. For the new mode, the company behind Fortnite, Epic Games said that the players now need to drop in fast and quickly loot the guns, armours and building materials to reach the higher ground before the lower ground gets consumed by Lava.
The new update is 150MB in size for the iOS with additional in-game download after the update is finished. The new update also adds other features such as fixes for the 21:9 aspect ratio and reactivating voice chat for iOS.
Fortnite update 8.20 patch notes
Floor Is Lava LTM: A few minutes into the match, the lava will begin to rise. The lava moves at a steady speed until the entire map is covered. Touching the lava will apply damage directly to your health and bounce you up in the air. You can build on the lava. Players will be given a small number of materials every second, to help out in those “entire map is on fire” situations.
- Dedicated use buttons now support hold to swap.
- Voice Chat has been reactivated on iOS.
- Emote button now supports hold to replay last emote.
- Updated the Baller button icons.
- Updated the battery icon to indicate the device is charging. Refreshes visibility every 2 seconds.
- Cycle left button added to the HUD layout tool.
- Added loot pickup stream UI.
- This is the part of the UI that tracks how many resources and ammo you’re picking up.
- Net Debug Stats is now movable in the HUD Layout Tool.
- Enabled Squad Communication and Emote buttons while DBNO.
- Fixed field of view on 21:9 devices.
- Fixed an issue with quickbar and extra buttons that made it possible to cause fire state to be stuck on a continuous loop.
- Fixed an issue causing the camera to jump on initial touch input.
- This will also fix the issue where HUD control buttons are missing when starting a match on some Android devices.
- Fixed an issue causing incorrect building pieces to gain focus when editing.
- Fixed missing outline effect for squad members.
- Fixed minimap remaining on screen during Victory Royale sequence.
- Fixed not being able to select building material while being a passenger in a vehicle.
Fortnite has around 250 million registered players as Epic Games noted at the GDC 2019. The numbers are huge as the game was released only 18 months ago and since then the numbers kept on growing. The company also said that at its highest point, the game saw more than 10.8 million players online.
🔥 Bring the heat! 🔥
Downtime has completed for the v8.20 update. Fire away in the new Floor is Lava LTM, coming soon! pic.twitter.com/1HP7n4a9XP
— Fortnite (@FortniteGame) March 27, 2019
But it should be noted that the new update comes days after the Battlefield Firestorm was released. With the inclusion of Firestorm in the battle royale genre, the competition has gotten tougher so the new update might add ‘new-ness’ to the game.