As Google has announced that Meet, its premium video conferencing product, is free for everyone, you can also get started by signing in at meet.google.com if you have an existing Gmail account. In case you don’t have a free Google Account, it only takes a minute to create one using your work or personal email address of choice.
In a recent blog post, Google has revealed that the “Meetings are limited to 60 minutes for the free product, though we won’t enforce this time limit until after Sept. 30. Creating a trusted meeting space is important, and being mindful when sharing meeting links in public forums can help create a safe experience for all attendees.”
According to the tech giant, Google “Meet is designed, built and operated to be secure at scale. Since January, we’ve seen Meet’s peak daily usage grow by 30x. As of this month, Meet is hosting 3 billion minutes of video meetings and adding roughly 3 million new users every day. And as of last week, Meet’s daily meeting participants surpassed 100 million.”
In order to join a video meeting from your Gmail account, you need to follow the simple steps:
- Firstly, open Gmail
- Then, click on ‘Join a meeting’ button in the sidebar
- Now, enter a meeting code or nickname
- Lastly, click on Join to get started
Mind you! If you don’t see ‘Join a Meeting’ option in the sidebar, contact your G Suite administrator. Besides this, Google also notified that “Nicknames are a fast way to join a meeting, and you can share them with other people in your organization. Only guests internal to your organization can join a meeting with a nickname.”
Now, let us share the steps you need to follow in case you wish to start a video meeting from your Gmail account:
- Firstly, open Gmail
- Now, click on Start a meeting option in the sidebar
(Note: If you don’t see this option, contact your G Suite administrator.)
- Now choose an option to join the meeting in the Meet window:
- To join using your computer’s camera for video and your computer’s microphone for audio, click Join now.
- To join using your phone for audio, click Join and use a phone for audio and then follow the on-screen prompts. If you join by phone, you can still use your computer for video. For details, see Use a phone for audio in a video meeting.
4. Once you are in the meeting, choose an option to add other people:
- To share the meeting code with someone, click Copy joining info, then paste the info into a messaging app.
- To invite someone by sending them an email, click Add people, enter names or email addresses, then click Send invite.
- To invite someone to join the meeting by phone, click Add people, then click Call and enter a phone number.
5. Get started
Many schools and colleges today use Google Meet to power secure virtual classes, PTA meetings, parent-teacher conferences, tutoring and even school socials. Google Meet is included in G Suite for Education, which serves more than 120 million students and teachers globally.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date using the Gadget Bridge Android App.