WhatsApp recently unveiled a new function for WhatsApp. Users will now be able to easily and securely move their chat history between devices. Currently, the transfer can only occur if both devices are running the same OS. The use of QR code authentication will now allow users to share their chat history. Larger attachments and messages can now be transferred from one device to another more quickly and easily thanks to the new capability.
Users no longer need to exit their apps on one device in order to move data to the other phone thanks to the new procedure. At the moment, users have the option of updating the backup on cloud services or using a third-party app to transfer their chat history.
With the new method, users do not have to close their apps on one device in order to transfer data to the other phone. The data is safe because it only travels between two devices, without the use of any third-party apps or cloud services. However, one must ensure that both of their phones have Android OS Lollipop 5.1, or Android 6 or higher installed in order to transfer the WhatsApp Chat History via QR code. Both the old and new iPhone models should have WhatsApp for iOS version 22.214.171.124 or higher installed in order to move chats over to iOS.
Additionally, one needs to ensure the new phone isn’t registered on WhatsApp until the transfer process is complete. Additionally, WiFi must be turned on and connected to the same network on both devices.
Table of Contents
How to transfer WhatsApp Chat History via QR code on Android Phone
- On your old Android device launch WhatsApp. Start by selecting More Options > Settings > Chats > Transfer chats.
- Install WhatsApp on the new device and sign up with the same number.
- Next, click on Start to Transfer chat history from the old phone.
- A QR code will show after the permissions are granted. You now need to scan the QR code on your old device.
- The procedure will start as soon as the request to connect the phone is approved.
- Tap Done when the import is complete.
How to transfer WhatsApp Chat History via QR code on iOS device
- Go to Settings > Chats > Transfer Chats to iPhone > Start after opening WhatsApp on the old iPhone.
- Install WhatsApp on the new iPhone and register.
- Tap on the continue option to Transfer chat history to iPhone.
- Scan the QR code displayed on your new device using the camera on your old phone.
- Once the transfer is finished you can set up your profile on the new iPhone.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date using the Gadget Bridge Android App. You can find the latest car and bike news here.