The wait for Samsung Galaxy Fold is finally coming to an end. After postponing the launch of its foldable smartphone for months, Samsung has said that it has redesigned the handset to address all the issues in it and will now be launching it in September this year.
We should mention that the South Korean technology giant was one among the first companies to announce its foldable smartphone. However, when the company sent some units of Galaxy Fold to reviewers and YouTubers in the United States, several issues were discovered. The most prominent one among these was that the display of some units of the device cracked.
In a blog post, the company has said, “Earlier this year, we announced Galaxy Fold—Samsung’s first foldable device, and the beginning of an entirely new mobile category. Since then, we’ve made improvements to the Galaxy Fold to ensure consumers have the best possible experience.”
While Samsung has announced that it has fixed the issues with Galaxy Fold and will be launching it in September, it is yet to announce a specific date for the same. Speaking about the changes it has made, the company has said, “Samsung has taken the time to fully evaluate the product design, make necessary improvements and run rigorous tests to validate the changes we made.”
According to Samsung’s blog post, the improvements made in Galaxy Fold include:
- The top protective layer of the Infinity Flex Display has been extended beyond the bezel, making it apparent that it is an integral part of the display structure and not meant to be removed.
- Galaxy Fold features additional reinforcements to better protect the device from external particles while maintaining its signature foldable experience:
- The top and bottom of the hinge area have been strengthened with newly added protection caps.
- Additional metal layers underneath the Infinity Flex Display have been included to reinforce the protection of the display.
- The space between the hinge and body of Galaxy Fold has been reduced.
Samsung has also added that it “has also been continuously working to improve the overall Galaxy Fold user experience, including optimizing more apps and services for its unique foldable UX.”
The company, however, has specified that the handset will only be launching in a few markets initially. But then, before the Samsung Galaxy Fold controversy happened, the company’s CEO DJ Koh had said that the smartphone will be launched in India too. But then, we can’t say whether that will happen in September along with other countries which will get it during the first wave.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date using the Gadget Bridge Android App.