The ability for all users to move their chat history from Android to iOS has been officially pushed by WhatsApp. The instant messaging app is also allowing to transfer entire chat history from iOS to Android. Unfortunately, WhatsApp call history transfer is not supported by the new feature.
The rollout of chat history transfer from Android to iOS and vice versa has been formally confirmed by WhatsApp. The Meta-owned instant messaging took to Twitter to formally make the announcement of the rollout.
At the Galaxy Unpacked presentation earlier in August last year, the Meta-owned platform made the feature announcement. The feature, which was previously accessible for beta testers to test, has been included in the messaging app in a beta version.
Through its website’s FAQ page, WhatsApp has also emphasised how to transfer the chat history. The section on the company’s website also includes information on how to move your chat history from an Android phone to an iPhone or from an iOS device to an Android device.
Apart from transferring chat history users cannot transfer their WhatsApp call history or peer-to-peer payment history with this functionality; they can only transfer their chat history.
How to transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone
You can move your account information, profile photo, one-on-one and group chats, chat histories, media, and settings from an Android phone to an iPhone. Your call history and display name cannot be transferred.
- On your Android phone, launch the Move to iOS app and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Your iPhone will show you a code. On your Android phone, input the code when prompted.
- Then, adhere to the instructions by tapping Continue.
- On the Transfer Data page, choose WhatsApp.
- On your Android device, tap START, and wait while WhatsApp prepares the data for export. Once the data is ready, you’ll be signed out of your Android phone.
- To return to the Move to iOS app, tap NEXT.
- To transfer data from your Android device to your iPhone, tap CONTINUE. When Move to iOS appears, the transfer is complete.
- Download WhatsApp’s most recent version from the App Store.
- Use the same phone number you used to sign up for WhatsApp on your previous device.
- When prompted, select Start, and then wait for the procedure to finish.
- Your chats will be waiting for you once you’ve finished activating your new device.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date using the Gadget Bridge Android App. You can find the latest car and bike news here.