Google’s Family Link is an easy-to-use application allowing parents to set rules for their children to use devices like smartphones and tablets. It ensures that children grow in a healthy environment gaining useful knowledge while blocking inappropriate online content.
Table of Contents
Who needs Google Family Link?
Nowadays, children have as much access to gadgets like smartphones and tablets as an adult. Most schools have curriculums in which children have to submit homework and assignments through a portal or mobile application. Besides, the COVID-19 pandemic has led tasks like lectures and assessments to be carried out solely online on the internet.
Although smartphones and tablets are of great utility for children, they also expose them to online content inappropriate at such an age. To solve parents’ dilemma whether they should offer gadgets to their children or not, Google’s Family Link comes to their rescue.
How can Google’s Family Link help you manage your child’s phone?
Google’s Family Link empowers parents in a variety of ways to monitor their child’s activity on a smartphone.
1) Apps download: The app allows them to be the final authority to approve apps that their child wishes to download from the Play Store.
2) Screen time: With Family Link, parents can allot limits for the daily screen time on their child’s device. Moreover, the weekly and monthly reports tell the overall screen time and the time spent on individual applications by their child.
3) Remote lock: Family Link enables the parents to remotely lock their child’s device or hide particular apps during productive hours of their child.
4) SafeSearch filters: The SafeSearch feature blocks explicit content on Google Search including graphics violence and suggestive videos. This feature remains active for the user under 13.
5) Build curiosity: Besides being a limiter, the app acts as a facilitator. Family Link automatically shows teacher-recommended apps that your child can directly download from the Play Store.
How to use Google’s Family Link?
Google’s Family Link allows parents to decide when their child is mature enough to freely use the device. To set the Family link using the app, follow these steps.
1) Install the Family Link on an Android device.
2) Create a Google Account for your child within the application or a browser on the website families.google.com.
3) Now you can monitor your child’s account as a parent on your Android or iOS smartphone.
4) As soon as your child turns 13, the app will allow him/her to upgrade to a normal Google Account.
Google’s Family Link allows a family group of up to six people with the parent as the administrator.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date with the Gadget Bridge Android App.