Computer audio not functioning, can be for many reasons. It might be because of the not-compatible headphones you have plugged in. Or it might be the changes in settings when the Windows update on your laptop. To fix the audio problems in your laptop read the methods below.
Audio driver: Install or Uninstall
If any hardware in the computer is not working it is better to check the driver first. To check when it was last updated and if it needs to be updated now. You can access your hardware from the device manager. If you see any yellow exclamation mark you need to update or reinstall the driver. Follow the steps to open the device manager, check, and reinstall the driver if required.
- Press Windows + X keys
- Find device manager and click on it
- Tap on Sound, Video, and game controller
- Click on Realtek High definition audio or similar audio property
- Select uninstall device
- Now restart your laptop
- It will automatically reinstall the audio driver
Another easy option to check the sound problem in your laptop is checking the audio source. You can find the audio source on the taskbar. Check the steps.
- Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar
- Find the inverted “v” sign and click on it
- Check for another speaker and select it
- If there are more than two options try clicking and checking on all.
- Not selecting the right speakers might be the problem
Read also: How to install Windows 10 using a pen drive
Other options to fix the speakers on your laptop having no sound is by running Windows Troubleshoot. Many problems can be fixed by Windows Troubleshooters. Follow the steps:
- Press Windows + I
- It will open settings
- Click on Update and Security
- Now select Troubleshoot on the left panel
- Check for errors
- Find audio errors: If any
- Click on Playing audio and run Troubleshooter
- The troubleshooter will direct you to the problem and you can fix it
Another method to fix the no sound on your laptop is by restarting the audio services. By restarting all the audio services, the laptop speaker might work again. Check the method below:
- Go to the search box on the taskbar
- Type Services
- Click on the Services to open the service manager
- Locate: Windows Audio, Windows Audio Endpoint Builder, Remote Procedure call (PRC)
- Hit the right-click and restart each service
Enable Playback devices
Another method to fix the laptop speaker is to check if the speaker’s might is disabled on the Playback devices. To enable it you can open the control panel and fix the problem. Here is the method.
- Press Windows + R
- And run mmsys.cpl
- Find the disabled speaker and right-click to enable it
- Click OK and change it to Set Default
- For more settings, you can select properties
- Go to enhancement
- Check all the tab on enhancement
- And click OK
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date using the Gadget Bridge Android App.