Owning a phone number is a pre-requisite for using WhatsApp. However, the number can be your mobile number, landline, or a virtual number. As long as you can verify the number via OTP, you can register the same on the app. This process has an advantage as you can now use WhatsApp while hiding your original number.
Why would you need to hide your number while using WhatsApp?
There is nothing illegal in hiding your number while using WhatsApp. However, you must complete the OTP verification process every time you register on the app. As long as you use the app, your phone number is visible to the groups you are part of. The phone number can be easily transmitted to contacts and groups within the app. Thus, if you wish to hide your original contact details on WhatsApp, you can do that in the following two ways.
Method 1: Using a virtual phone number
You can find several applications on the Play Store that offer a virtual phone number. TextNow is a similar service that provides you with virtual numbers based in the US and Canada. With any of these virtual numbers, you can enjoy similar online services like WhatsApp as you do with your original number.
Follow these steps.
1) Keep the TextNow app active throughout the signing up process on WhatsApp.
2) On WhatsApp, set the country code to the US or Canada whichever corresponds to the virtual number.
3) During OTP verification, let the timer to expire.
4) Choose ‘Call me’ for OTP verification.
5) You will receive a missed call on the TextNow app and a new voice message.
6) Listen to the verification code in the voice message in the Text Now app.
7) Enter the code on WhatsApp just and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the registration.
Method 2: Using a landline number
You can use a landline number to use WhatsApp. However, the regular version of WhatsApp is not compatible with landline numbers. Instead, you will require to install the WhatsApp business app. Follow these steps.
1)Download and install the WhatsApp Business app on your smartphone.
2) During the phone number registration, select the country code for India i.e. +91.
3) Now enter the STD code followed by your landline number.
4) Let the OTP timer to expire.
5) Choose ‘Call me’ for OTP verification.
6) You will receive a call on your landline number.
7) Listen to the OTP on the call.
8) Enter the code on WhatsApp just and follow the on-screen
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date with the Gadget Bridge Android App.