As long as we use our smartphones, we are constantly generating data. No matter how the nominal activity we do on our devices, companies gather this data for targetted advertisements. In targetted advertisements, companies make unique profiles of individuals based on their search habits to know about their preferences. These preferences help companies build a list of products and services for which they will present advertisements. On the iPhone, you can manually change the permissions regarding ad tracking.
Table of Contents
What Is Ad Tracking?
Ad tracking is a technique by which websites track users while surfing the internet to send relevant advertisements. When you surf the internet on your iPhone, websites use a code block known as ad trackers to learn about your search behaviours.
How to turn off personalized ads?
To disable personalised ads, follow these steps.
- Go to Settings > Privacy > Apple Advertising
- Turn off the Personalized Ads option
How to turn off location-based ads?
To disable location-based ads, follow these steps.
- Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services
- Turn off the Location Services option.
How to enhance privacy on Safari?
On Safari browser, you can tweak the setting to make surfing more secure.
- To block all cookies, follow these steps.
- Go to Settings > Safari
- In the Privacy & Security section, turn on the Prevent Cross-Site Tracking option. Now, advertising companies won’t be able to track the websites you visit.
- Turn on the Block All Cookies option. A cookie is a collection of data generated based on the data you enter into the website. As soon as you block these cookies, no data regarding your website usage will be saved.
How to turn off background app refresh?
When you keep the Background App Refresh active, the suspended apps will be able to check for updates and new content. To disable the Background App Refresh, follow these steps.
- Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh. You’ll find all the apps that can use the Background App Refresh feature.
- Select the Background App Refresh located at the top of the screen.
- Select the Off option. Now, all the toggles for the apps listed on the previous page disappear.
You may also choose which apps should use the Background App Refresh feature. Just keep the Background App Refresh feature on and manually select the apps to toggle off.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date with the Gadget Bridge Android App.