USB devices are one of the most portable and useful devices in the tech world today. They are not just good for transferring or storing files but they can be used in a variety of ways.
It does the work of hard disk drives, but unlike them, they aren’t bulky and are wireless.
However, the USB drives come in single partitions only and there are no multiple partitions in the USB drives which can be used for a number of things.
With multiple partitions on the USB drives, you can make it into a Bootable drive which can be used to install a new OS to any PC or laptop without needing the CD/ DVD of the OS.
Here we are listing down the ways by which you can make partitions in a USB drive.
To make a partition to a USB drive you need to use the Disk Management Tool in Windows.
Here are the ways by which you can use the Disk Management tool to create the partition in a USB drive:
Steps to make a partition to a USB drive in Win-10
- Insert the USB drive to your PC. Then open the Windows Search and type ‘diskmgmnt.msc’. Click Enter. After that, select theDisk Management from the list of options.
- Select the USB drive which you need to partition and then right-click on it. Then select ‘Shrink Volume’.
- Once the next window opens, you can see the total size of the disk and space which can be shrunk. Here, enter the amount of space you want to shrink (in MBs) and then click on ‘Shrink’.
- Once that is done, you can see the ‘Unallocated Space’. Right-click on it and then select ‘New Simple Volume’.
- After that, you will be taken to the Simple Volume Wizard where the minimum and the maximum size will be shown. Then you can choose the volume you want.
- Assign a drive letter or a path for the USB drive.
- After that, you will be taken to ‘Format Partition’. Here, choose ‘NFTS’ and then click on ‘Next’.
- Once it is done, you will be taken to the final phase of the partition creation which tells you that you have successfully completed the New Volume Simple Wizard. Once there, click on ‘Finish’ to complete the setup.
- Once it is done, you will have to make a partition to your USB drive which can be used to store a Bootable OS.