Microsoft has released a new feature in the Skype Desktop app called active noise cancellation. This new feature will enhance the experience of Skype voice and video calls by optimally reducing the background noise.
According to Skype, “We are pleased to announce the release of our latest background noise suppression feature in the Skype desktop app. Originally developed for Microsoft Teams, this new feature is designed to silence just about everything except for your voice when you’re meeting on Skype.”
How does this feature work?
Skype revealed that this technology of active noise cancellation works on Machine Learning. When the user speaks in a voice or video call, the voice signals are sent through the microphone. The audio feed is analysed and feed to deep neural networks that cancel the noise without compromising the voice quality.
According to Skype, “This technology relies on machine learning (ML) to learn the difference between clean speech and noise and is frequently referred to as artificial intelligence (AI). A representative dataset is used to train the ML model to work in most of the situations our Skype users experience. There needs to be enough diversity in the dataset in terms of clean speech, noise types, and the environments from which our users are joining online calls”.
How to enable the active noise cancellation video calls?
To activate the active noise cancellation feature in Skype video calls, follow these steps.
1) Launch the Skype Desktop app.
2) Click on the three vertical dots located on the top-left part of the screen next to the profile picture.
3) Click the ‘Settings’ option to open the ‘Settings tab.
4) In the ‘Settings’ tab, click the ‘Audio & Video’ option from the side menu.
5) Scroll down to the ‘Audio’ section.
6) Click the down arrow located next to the ‘Noise cancellation.
7) Choose the desired option among the following: ‘Off’, ‘Auto’, ‘Low’, ‘High’. If you are not sure which option to choose, click the ‘Auto’ option. This is the default option that optimally cancels the background noise.
8) Exit the ‘Settings’ Tab. Your updated preferences will automatically be set.
Which platforms support this new feature of Skype?
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date with the Gadget Bridge Android App.