Apple has finally rolled out the much-awaited feature for iPhone users. The new iOS 15.4 update brings the ability to use Face ID to unlock iPhone while wearing a mask. Till now iPhone users could only unlock their device using a passcode or Apple Watch while wearing a mask. But it is now possible to unlock iPhone with FaceID as well. So, here’s a step-by-step tutorial on enabling the feature on your iPhone.
Note that the feature to use a Face ID while wearing a mask with iPhone is made available on iPhone 12 and later with iOS 15.4 and later. This means you can access it if you have iPhone 12, 12 Mini, 12 Pro, and 12 Pro Max, as well as the iPhone 13, 13 Mini, 13 Pro, and 13 Pro Max.
As per the company Face ID with a mask can assess the distinctive traits surrounding your eyes whether you’re wearing a facial mask or other face coverings. You may still use Face ID with a mask to authenticate applications, unlock your iPhone, and utilise Apple Pay.
Table of Contents
How to set up Face ID to work with face masks
- Check that your iPhone is running iOS 15.4 or later.
- Navigate to Settings, then Face ID & Passcode.
- Scroll down to the bottom and enable Face ID with a Mask.
- Tap Use Face ID with a Mask when asked. Set up Face ID using the same face scan technique as before by following the on-screen instructions.
- You may also use your Apple Watch to unlock your iPhone while wearing a mask.
- If you wear a face mask that is too high or too close to your eyes, Face ID may fail to unlock your iPhone. This function necessitates that your eyes be unobstructed.
How to use Face ID when you’re wearing glasses and a face mask
If you wear glasses, you may increase the accuracy of Face ID with a mask by configuring it while wearing them. This may be done when you initially activate Face ID or afterwards. Face ID allows you to add up to four pairs of glasses.
- Tap Face ID & Passcode in the Settings app.
- Scroll down and press the Add Glasses button.
- When prompted, tap Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions.
- Face ID must be able to see your eyes and the regions surrounding your eyes in order to utilise it with a mask. Face ID with a mask is not intended to function with sunglasses.
How to Use Your Apple Watch to Unlock Your iPhone
- Make sure you’re wearing a mask, sunglasses, or ski goggles, and that your Apple Watch is unlocked and on your wrist.
- Raise your iPhone or press the screen to wake it up.
- To unlock your iPhone, simply look at it. Then, from the bottom of your iPhone screen, swipe up to start using it.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date using the Gadget Bridge Android App. You can find the latest car and bike news here.