In order to provide the best user experience with the search giant Google is rolling out a couple of new features across all its products such as Google search, Google Duo among others. Recently the company rolled out 4 new features to enhance the user’s video calling experience for Google Duo. When everyone is practising social distance and has to take work from home due to coronavirus lockdown Google Meet has brought new features to its platform ideal for remote working.
While announcing the new features the company via blog post said, “Over the past few weeks, we’ve extended advanced Meet features to all G Suite customers so that they can get the most out of Meet. We’ve also ramped up engineering support for Meet, both to ensure we’re scaling responsibly and to bring our users four of their top-requested Meet features. These features use technologies like Google AI to improve meeting quality and user experience, and will gradually roll out to customers globally, beginning today.”
With the expanded tiled layout, not the web users can view up to 16 participants at once. Earlier the users were able to see only four participants at a time. The company is promising to bring more updates for larger meetings along with better presentation layouts, and support across more devices.
How to view people in the meeting?
According to the company, Google Meet automatically switches the layout in a video meeting in order to display the most active content as well as participants. But if you wish to join a meeting on a computer you can change the layout as you like.
To change the view:
- Auto- this allows you to choose the layout for the user
- Tiled- It now shows up to 16 participants when there is no presentation. You can use your mouse to view participants’ names. If someone joins after the meeting begins their name will be added to the bottom of the screen. Also, the presentation will be shown on a larger tile while the participants to the side
- Spotlight- The presentation, active speaker or pinned feed fills the window.
- Sidebar- It allows the user to see the active speaker or presentation along with the additional participants on the side.
How to change the layout?
- Firstly join a meeting on a computer.
- Now in the lower right corner of the Meet screen click more and change then click on change layout option.
- Now in the Change layout box choose a layout you wish to use on your computer.
- You can also click on the participant’s image to pin them to the screen.
How and who can join a video meeting?
Only those who are a part of your organisation and have signed in to their G Suite account, or people outside of your organisation and have been added to the Google Calendar event and have a Google Account and those who have been invited to the meeting by a participant.
To join a meeting open Gmail
- In the sidebar click on Join a meeting. In case you do not see this option contact your G Suite administrator
- Now enter a meeting code or nickname.
- Click join
- You can also view your scheduled meeting in Calendar to join a video meeting
- In the calendar click the event you want to join
- Or you can also join a meeting from Meet in a web browser
- Select the meeting from your list of scheduled events and click Join now
- You can enter a meeting code or nickname
- Click continue and then Join Now
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date with the Gadget Bridge Android App.