To meet the requirements of the ever-changing technology world, Google keeps on adding new features to its platforms. One of its platforms is Google Maps and it is a widely used navigation application around the world. Google has lately been updating maps a lot. Earlier, it was seen testing a new feature called “Stay Safer” in India. The search giant tested this new feature in the country for a while and now, it is being rolled out for everyone. The feature does what its name suggests – it safeguards people traveling in public transport. Once it is active, it will alert the user if any public transport they are traveling in goes off-route.
The new feature also gives the option to share the live location of the user with their friends and family. Currently, this feature is being rolled out for Android users in India. Here’s how the users can use this feature:
- To use this feature, the users would need to update Google Maps. After updating, users can search for the destination and get directions.
- Then they would have to tap the “Stay Safer” button that is present at the bottom of the screen.
- This will prompt two options – “get off-route alerts” and “share live trips”.
- Once you have pressed the get off-route alerts, Google Maps will alert you by sending a notification to your smartphone. However, this will only happen if your transport deviates 0.5 km from the suggested route.
- On the other hand, the Share live trip option can be used to share the live location of the user on the social media or with friends and family. With this, the user can always be sure that his friends and family knows about his/her location when he wants.
Speaking about the new features, Amanda Bishop, Product Manager, Google Maps said in a statement, “Through our extensive research across India, we found that a lot of people limit their mobility due to safety-related concerns. To address this, we are launching another India-first feature that will deliver a more relevant and reliable experience to our users. Our new ‘Stay Safer’ feature on Google Maps will alert users who are traveling in taxis, auto-rickshaws etc. in case their vehicle goes off route, giving them peace of mind. At Google Maps, we are committed to helping make journeys safe and hassle-free and look forward to bringing more experiences like this to India and beyond.”
Although the new feature is rolling out for Android users, it is currently not available for the iOS users.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date using the Gadget Bridge Android App.
Hi, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just wondering
if you get a lot of spam comments? If so how do you protect against
it, any plugin or anything you can recommend?
I get so much lately it’s driving me crazy so any
help is very much appreciated.