The deadline for linking the Permanent Account Number (PAN) to the Aadhaar number has been extended till June 30, 2021. You may verify your PAN-Aadhaar linking status on different platforms.
According to the Income-tax Department, “Representations have been received from taxpayers that the last date for intimating the Aadhaar number may further be extended in the wake of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Keeping in view the difficulties faced by the taxpayers, the central government has issued a notification today extending the last date for the intimation of the Aadhaar number and linking thereof with PAN to June 30, 2021”.
Why should you verify that your PAN is linked to your Aadhaar Number?
Section 139AA of the Income-tax Act has the following provisions:
- Every Aadhaar-eligible person must quote the Aadhaar number in the income tax return and the PAN card application.
- Also, a person has to link his PAN with Aadhar if he is eligible for obtaining an Aadhaar number and has been allotted PAN as of July 1, 2017.
What will happen if your PAN is not linked to your Aadhaar Number?
As per Section 234H of the Income-tax Act, not linking the PAN with the Aadhaar Number will have the following consequences.
- The defaulter may have to pay a penalty of up to Rs 1,000.
- The PAN card of the defaulter may be rendered invalid.
- Taxpayer defaulters will have to pay higher TDS and TCS.
The PAN holder will not be able to file their income tax returns, make financial transactions requiring PAN, and avail of government benefits like LPG subsidy, pension, and scholarship.
It must be noted that the deactivated PAN of a person will become active as soon as he gets it linked to the Aadhaar Number.
How to check if your PAN is linked to your Aadhaar Number using the official website?
To check if your PAN is linked to your Aadhaar Number using the official website, follow these steps.
- Open a web browser on your PC or smartphone and go to the website of the Income Tax Department of the Government of India(incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/aadhaarstatus)
- In the form, enter the required details i.e. your PAN and Aadhaar Number.
- Click the ‘View Link Aadhaar Status’ button.
How to check if your PAN is linked to your Aadhaar Number through SMS?
To check if your PAN is linked to your Aadhaar Number through SMS, follow these steps.
- On your registered mobile number, open the messages app and create a new message.
- Type your UIDPAN, Aadhaar Number, and PAN.
- Send the message to 567678 or 56161.
If your PAN is linked to your Aadhaar number, you will get the following message: “Aadhaar…is already associated with PAN..in ITD database. Thank you for using our services.”
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date with the Gadget Bridge Android App.