Chipmaker MediaTek has unveiled its new 5G multi-mode chipset – 7nm 5G system-on-chip (SoC) – at the Computex 2019 in Taiwan. The chipset, according to the company, has been designed to power the first wave of high-end 5G smartphones.
The company has said that the integrated 5G chipset has the MediaTek Helio M70 5G modem built in so world-leading technology has been packed into its compact design.
The new chipset comes with ARM’s newest Cortex-A77 CPU, Mali-G77 GPU and MediaTek’s most advanced AI processing unit (APU). These will ensure that it is able to meet the power and performance demands of 5G.
As we mentioned earlier, the new 5G chipset is a multi-mode one and works for both 5G stand alone and non-standalone (SA/NSA) sub-6GHz networks. It can support connectivity from 2G to 4G to bridge existing network access while 5G networks roll out globally.
Speaking on the launch, MediaTek President Joe Chen said, “Everything about this chip is designed for the first wave of flagship 5G devices. The leading-edge technology in this chipset makes it the most powerful 5G SoC announced to date and puts MediaTek at the forefront of 5G SoC design. MediaTek will power rollouts of 5G premium level devices.”
The new MediaTek 5G chipset is integrated with its previously announced Helio M70 5G modem. The company has claimed that its single 5G chip design is superior to two chips solutions, especially in being able to deliver power-efficient performance.
The new chipset will be ready for lead customer samples in Q3 of 2019 and be in commercial devices by Q1 of 2020. Full specifications of the MediaTek 5G SoC will be introduced in the coming months. Features and technology in the MediaTek integrated 5G SoC for sub-6GHz include:
- Helio M70 5G modem: MediaTek designed Helio M70 5G modem integrated into the SoC.
- 7 Gbps download speeds and 2.5 Gbps upload speeds
- Intelligent power savings and comprehensive power management
- Multi-mode support – 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G – and dynamic power sharing for the best connectivity
- New AI architecture: Sports an all-new AI processing unit. Supports more advanced AI applications, including for imaging like de-blur so users get great shots even when subjects are moving fast.
- Latest CPU technology: MediaTek’s 5G SoC is a performance powerhouse with the just announced new Arm Cortex-A77 CPU.
- State-of-the-art GPU: A robust new Arm Mali-G77 GPU that enables seamless extreme streaming and gaming experiences at 5G speeds.
- Innovative 7nm FinFET: World’s first 5G SoC built on the cutting-edge 7nm production process for big energy savings in a compact package.
- Speedy throughput: A peak throughput of 4.7Gps download (sub-6GHz) and New Radio (NR) 2 Component Carrier (CC) support. Supports both non-standalone (NSA) and standalone (SA) 5G network architectures.
- Powerful Multimedia & Imaging performance: Supports 4K video encode/decode at 60fps and super high-resolution camera (80MP).
Chen further said, “The industry, OEMs and consumers have high expectations for 5G. We are confident devices powered by MediaTek’s 5G chipset, with its impressive architecture, leading imaging features, powerful AI and ultra-fast 5G speeds will deliver incredible experiences.”
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date using the Gadget Bridge Android App.