As parents grow old, they are not left with much energy to do the daily tasks with the same power level they used to do before. With the deterioration of eyesight and hearing abilities, they find difficulty in doing complex tasks like reading and traveling. Thus, it’s your responsibility to equip them sufficiently so that can simplify their tasks significantly. Here are the best apps that you should install on their smartphones for their safety.
Elderly people face difficulty in moving around, say going to a clinic or market. The Ola app will greatly reduce their effort in moving from one place to another. It gives multiple travel options while taking care of safety. The Ola app is available in more than a hundred cities across India including Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, and Bangalore. Ola drivers are professionals and take care of hygiene, especially during the pandemic. Thus, they regularly sanitise their vehicles as well as the hands of the customers before a new ride.
- Highly secure via OTP
- Schedule the ride as per your preference including ‘Ride Later’
- Multiple payment options like cash, Ola Money, PhonePe, and UPI.
- Track your ride in real-time
Netmeds is a must-have app for elderly people to buy medicines online. This app saves them from venturing out to search for a pharmacy. They just need to upload their prescription of the medicines and address where they want to get them delivered. Netmeds is a trusted application that sells only medicines that are approved by medical experts. The app also helps save money as compared to offline pharmacies through their everyday offers (https://www.netmeds.com/offers).
- Online booking of lab tests
- Access to health information free of cost
- Timely medicine refill reminders
- 24×7 Doctor consultation
3) Magnifying Glass + Flashlight
Senior citizens face difficulty in reading letters while doing day-to-day tasks. Medicine bottles description, invoice entries, and product serial numbers are written in letters that are too small for them to read. Magnifying Glass + Flashlight is a highly useful app that enlarges the text through digital zoom and has a feature of a flashlight to read in low-light conditions.
- High Contrast Mode for better visibility
- zoom magnifies up to 5X
- Captured pictures remain saved in the library
- Uses flashlight for reading in dark
4) Oscar Senior
It’s highly inconvenient for elderly people to run sophisticated applications on their smartphones. Oscar Senior is an app that simplifies the interface of Android smartphones to provide them with everything in one place. They can connect to their children, auto-answer video calls, make one-touch calls, and browse the internet. The big buttons help enhances the accessibility. Using the Oscar Senior app, you can navigate your elderly parents, walk them through the user interface while sitting remotely.
- One-touch video calls with auto-answer feature
- Share photos and messages
- Access games and the internet
- No spam, virus, and advertising
5) Blood Pressure
With aging, blood pressure-related issues become common among senior citizens. It’s necessary to keep a track of their blood pressure for better diagnosis and with aging, the issues related to blood pressure become common. Blood Pressure is an app that will easily monitor their blood pressure and the reports can be easily shared with their doctors. The app features measurements analysis, statistics, graphs, comprehensive reports for better analysis by the doctor. The application automatically backs up the recorded data so that your elderly parents don’t need to worry about losing them.
- Supports systolic, diastolic, pulse, and weight values
- Save, edit or update your measurement
- Shorthand tags for frequent use
- Support for multiple users.
Bonus app: Guardians by Truecaller
- No data sharing in Guardians application
- Trust of Truecaller’s strong user base of 270 million across the globe
- Guardians will also work with the police
- Designed keeping in mind the safety of women
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date with the Gadget Bridge Android App.