Microsoft had announced 2020 the end of the support for the Microsoft Edge Legacy desktop application on March 9, 2021. This upcoming update shall be the last security update for Microsoft Edge Legacy.
Which version of Windows 10 will be impacted?
The new update will affect Windows 10 versions 1803 (Windows 10 April 2018 Update) and newer. Windows 7 and Windows 8.x devices will remain unaffected.
The following version of Windows 10 will run the update.
- Windows 10, version 1803, all editions (April 2018)
- Windows 10, version 1809, all editions (October 2018)
- Windows 10, version 1903, all editions (May 2019)
- Windows 10, version 1909, all editions (October 2019)
- Windows 10, version 2004, all editions (May 2020)
- Windows 10, version 20H2, all editions (October 2020)
According to Microsoft, “To replace this out of support application, we are announcing that the new Microsoft Edge will be available as part of the Windows 10 cumulative monthly security update, otherwise referred to as the Update Tuesday (or “B”) release on April 13, 2021. When you apply this update to your device out-of-support Microsoft Edge Legacy desktop application will be removed and the new Microsoft Edge will be installed.”
How will the upcoming update influence Windows?
- If you already have the new Microsoft Edge installed in your Windows, the upcoming update will only remove Microsoft Edge Legacy without installing the new Microsoft Edge.
- The side-by-side experience will discontinue as Microsoft Edge Legacy on your devices having Edge will come to an end.
- Skipping the Windows 10 update is not an option as apart from Microsoft Edge, several other features and applications are updated including the Windows defender that protects your PC against ever-changing threats.
- The new update will replace the Microsoft Edge Legacy with a new one without changing the other default and personalised settings.
- If you have been using the kiosk mode in Microsoft Edge, you will need to set it up once again in the new Microsft Edge.
- As soon as the update is installed, the new Microsoft Edge will scan for updates. If you use devices that are connected to a private WSUS server, you will need to keep these devices updated for the new Microsoft Edge in the WSUS catalog.
Windows 10 users don’t need to wait for the update. They can get it from Microsoft’s website and enjoy features such as support for Chrome extensions. The new Edge is expected not to have all the features from the old Edge as Microsoft regularly updates and adds new features to it.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date with the Gadget Bridge Android App.