Using a widget on the Windows 10 taskbar makes things easier instead of searching for it on the search bar. It can help you give information instantly without performing any process such as news and interest widget. But it may create inconvenience when many widgets are pinned on the taskbar. For some people who wish not to use the “news and interest” widget, you can turn off the function by following the steps below.
Disable news and interest widget on Windows 10
Microsoft recently unveiled the news and interest widget on the taskbar for Windows 10. The idea is so that people do not have to use their phones to check the weather and see it on the taskbar. The widget will be available on the Windows10 version of 1909, 2004, 20H2, and 2H1. The function on news and interest uses AI technology to show what is relevant for you. However, you can always turn off the widget if you want to by using settings. Here are the steps you can take.
- On the home screen of Windows 10 right-click on the taskbar
- Now click on News and interest
- You see an option: Select turn off to remove it
- There is an option also if you want to keep the icon only: it will reduce the widget size in the taskbar
Disable using Registry
You also have the option to remove the widget from the taskbar using the Registry editor. Follow the steps to know how to remove the widget using Registry.
- Press Windows+R for Run dialog
- On the Run dialog: Type regedit and enter
- Running will open up Registry Editor
- Navigate to key path; HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Feeds
- Right-click the Feed keys
- Go to the new and choose DWORD(32bit) value
- Type the new key as ShellFeedsTakbarViewMode and press enter
- Double click the newly created keys: shown on the right side of the screen
- Click the Ok button when Edit DWORD (32 bit) pops up
- Now you can restart your computer and the widget on the taskbar will disable completely
These are the two options for disabling the news and interest widget on the taskbar. You can either use option 1 or option 2 to disable the widget. Hope the guide on how to disable it is helpful for you.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date with the Gadget Bridge Android App.