Plex is a media streaming service that allows you to organise, access and stream your personal media collection such as movies, TV shows, music, photos, etc across TVs, laptops, and computers. Plex offers a user-friendly interface and is very convenient to use. Here is how you can use Plex with Chromecast, iOS, Android, Apple TV or NAS:
Table of Contents
How is Plex different?
The biggest problem in using media servers is that you need to make sure that the receiving device supports the format. If the format is not supported you’ll need to convert video in a different format which is time-consuming. Now Plex is quite different as it has inbuilt transcoding that converts video quickly to run on any device. Here is how you can use Plex on Chromecast, iOS, Android, Apple TV or NAS:
Read Also: Top 10 Apps for Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
Using Plex on Chromecast/Android
The most important step to using Plex is to download Plex on your devices. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to set up and use Plex on Chromecast.
- Download Plex on the desktop and go to the get started page.
- Complete the setup process.
- Go to downloads.
- On the server tab, select the operating system and download the package.
- After installation, a web UI page will ask for login details. Then you can access media across various devices.
- After you have set up your account you can now select a video to play. It will get projected on the screen.
- At the top corner, you can see a cast icon, tap on it. See the list of connected devices and tap on Chromecast connected display.
This method is the same for Windows/ MAC/ Android servers.
Using Plex on iOS/ Apple TV
- Streaming Plex on iOS/ Apple TV requires the Plex iOS app.
- After installation, open the app and connect to the Plex Media server.
- Find what you want to watch.
- Hit the AirPlay button and your movie will start playing on your Apple TV.
Using Plex on NAS
You can use Plex on NAS by installing it. Now there are two methods of installing Plex on your NAS server.
The first method is by installing Plex manually. Here is how you can do it:
- Download the Plex server package.
- Connect to Synology NAS.
- Open up the Package Centre.
- Click on Manual Install.
- Click Browse and locate the downloaded server.
- Click Next, a pop-up will appear. Click yes on the Pop-up, then click apply.
The second method is installing Plex automatically. Here is how to do it:
- Connect to Synology NAS.
- Go to Package Center. Click on settings in the top right corner.
- Change trust level to Synology Inc. and trusted publishers.
- Click the Certificate tab and download the Certificate Key. Then click Import.
- Browse to Downloaded Key and Click on OK
- Back in Package, install Plex media server.
No matter whether you choose to watch Plex on whichever platform, seamless video streaming is guaranteed by following these tips and tricks. To receive more such updates, stay tuned to Gadget Bridge.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date using the Gadget Bridge Android App. You can find the latest car and bike news here.