IP Address stands for Internet Protocol Address which is a unique value that identifies a device on a network. Internet Protocol governs the transmission of data back and forth in a local network.
Although the IP Address of an external network is static and can’t be changed by a PC, users can modify the IP Address of a home network. Changing the IP Address of a PC or a smartphone is useful when you install a new Wi-Fi router and want the home network to utilise the default IP Address range.
How to change the IP Address on a PC?
If your PC has, by default, set a static IP Address, you can change it in the following steps.
- Go to the Start menu and launch the Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, choose the Network and Sharing Center.
- Select the Change adapter settings option.
- Double-click the Wi-Fi network for which you wish to change the IP Address.
- Go to the Properties.
- Double-click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
- Select Obtain an IP address automatically. The router will automatically set an IP Address for your PC.
Make sure that the Obtain DNS server address automatically option is selected. If you deselect it, your DNS server settings may cause connection issues.
How to change the IP Address on an iOS device?
Although it’s not easy to change the Settings on an Apple device, you can modify its IP Address in the following steps.
- Launch the Settings app on your iOS device.
- Select the Wi-Fi option.
- Tap the ‘i’ located next to the connected Wi-Fi network.
- Tap the Configure IP option.
- Tap Manual and type the IP Address and DNS name.
It must be noted that changing the local IP Address does not degrade the performance of your Wi-Fi network.
How to change the IP Address on an Android device?
To change the IP Address on an Android device, follow these steps.
- Go to Settings > Network & internet > Wi-Fi.
- Select the WI-Fi network for which you wish to change the IP Address and tap Forget.
- Select the network from available Wi-Fi networks.
- Go to Advanced options > DHCP.
- Tap Static
- Scroll down the page and enter the IP address.
- Go to the top and type your Wi-Fi password.
- Tap Connect.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date with the Gadget Bridge Android App.