Google is one of the most secure email service providing reliable methods of password protection. The 2-step verification from Google adds another layer to your account. Some other websites that offer two-step verification feature include Outlook, Amazon, Dropbox, and Facebook.
Why do you need two-factor authentication?
This feature of Google adds another layer of security to your account. Google was of the first companies to provide a two-way authentication feature on its website. Once this feature is enabled, your account can be logged in only after authorisation from a physical device like a smartphone. Thus, it prevents unwanted access to your account.
How does the two-factor authentication Work?
When you activate the two-factor authentication feature in Google, your account will ask for the login password as well as a security key from a physical device to get access. The security key is sent to your smartphone through a text message or a voice call.
How to enable the two-factor authentication on Google?
To enable the two-factor authentication on Google, follow these steps.
- Open a web browser and go to the website, https://www.google.com/landing/2step/
- Click the ‘Get Started’.
- Scroll down and click the ‘Get Started’ button.
- Log in to your Google account.
- Enter your phone number.
- Select the mode to receive the security, either text messages or phone call. Click ‘Next’.
- If you want a physical security key on your smartphone, click Choose another option, then select the desired option.
- You will receive a text message or phone call with a security code.
- Enter the code on the browser. Click ‘Next’.
- Click ‘Turn On’ to enable the two-step verification on your Google Account.
How to disable the two-factor authentication on Google?
To disable the two-factor authentication on Google, follow these steps.
- Open a web browser and go to the website, https://myaccount.google.com
- Click on ‘Security.
- Scroll down to the ‘Signing in to Google’ section
- Right next to the ‘2-Step Verification’, Click ‘On’.
- Log into your account.
- Choose Turn Off.
- Choose Turn Off to disable 2-step verification on your Google account.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date with the Gadget Bridge Android App.