Apple has released a new OS update called WatchOS 5.2 for all the compatible Apple Watches. The new update brings many new features to the Apple Watch and the most prominent one among them is support for the ECG app. But the ECG support feature will only be available for 19 markets in Europe and some others in Hong Kong. Other new features that the WatchOS 5.2 brings include an expanded irregular heart rhythm notification feature for the new markets. Currently, both the new features are limited to the Apple Watch Series 4. Furthermore, the new update adds support for second-generation AirPods.
Out of all the changes the WatchOS 5.2 brings, the support of ECG app seems to be the most noticeable and important change. With this feature, the users can record an electrocardiogram using their Apple Watch. The feature is currently available for Hong Kong markets and several European markets which includes Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the UK. But it should be noted that, the ECG feature had already made its debut in December last year in the US and its territories such as Puerto Rico and Guam. The new WatchOS 5.2 update came a week after the debut of iOS 12.2.
Jeff Williams, Apple’s Chief Operating Officer said “We’ve seen the ECG app and irregular rhythm notifications on Apple Watch have meaningful impact on our customers across the United States. We are excited to bring these features to customers in Europe and Hong Kong, giving them access to empowering information about their heart health.”
The other feature enables the notifications for the irregular heart rhythm for the Apple Watch Series 4 in the above-mentioned markets. According to Apple, the data received through the ECG app and the irregular heart rhythm notification will be able to alert the users about the signs of Atrial fibrillation (AFib).
Along with health features, the WatchOS 5.2 also adds support for the second-generation AirPods. Some of the markets where the update has been released, it also adds support for real-time text (RTT) for phone calls. Other features of the Apple WatchOS 5.2 includes support for the Apple News + which was launched for iOS earlier this week. There is also two new gradient-style watch faces for the Apple Hermès watches in Cherry/Sakura and Bleu colours to match the spring Hermès band collection.
Speaking about the update, Apple said that the WatchOS 5.2 brings the new and updated security content and it fixes 29 vulnerabilities which were found on models starting from Apple Watch Series 1. The update adds several other features and fixes the problems of the old update.
Steps to follow to install the WatchOS 5.2 update
- The new update will only be compatible with the Apple Watch models running WatchOS 5. Here are the steps you need to follow to install the update:
- Go to the Apple Watch app on your iOS device.
- Once inside the app, head to General then tap on Software Update.
- The device must be connected with an internet connection and the Apple Watch must have at least 50% of battery.
- The update will get downloaded on its own and once downloaded, it will begin to update the device.
- But during the installation process, the iPhone must be in close proximity with the Apple Watch and both need to be connected with Wi-Fi. Once the installation is complete, the Apple Watch will restart with the new WatchOS 5.2.