The popular social networking app WhatsApp has millions of users and during the lockdown, the usage of the app has also increased than before. For better user’s experience, the Facebook owned chatting app has launched several features for the people’s convenience such as an increased limit on group video calls, limit to forwarded messages to contain the spread of rumours on COVID-19 and more. Another interesting feature that the company offers is Whatsapp Payments. The messaging platform has tied up with three private banks, namely Axis Bank, HDFC Bank, and ICICI Bank, as well as public sector State Bank of India (SBI). Today we will help you set up WhatsApp Payments on your phone and other features such as sending and receiving money.
Amid coronavirus people in India have been taking the support of digital or cashless payments following the social distancing guidelines. Currently, there are millions of users distributed among Paytm, Google Pay, PhonePe and other digital payment services who are using these services to make a payment, to send or receive money via wallets. Unlike these payment platforms operating in the country, WhatsApp Payments allows only payments between close contacts however the service is based on National Payments Corporation of India’s (NCPI) Unified Payments Interface (UPI). At the moment the payment service is currently under beta testing and after the phased rollout of its payments service in the country, it will compete against Amazon Pay UPI, Google Pay, PhonePe, and Paytm.
Here is how to set up WhatsApp Payments:
- Launch WhatsApp on your phone.
- Tap three dots on the top right corner.
- Tap on Payment
- Tap on the Add payment method
- A list of supported services will open up
- Now choose the bank from the options you have an account on. Make sure that account should have been linked to your mobile number.
- Now you will be asked to send a verification message from your smartphone.
- Now tab the Verify via SMS button.
- When verified, you will be able to view all your bank accounts linked to the mobile number. Select a bank you want to keep for making your payments.
- After you tap on Done, setting up your account has been completed.
How to send money via WhatsApp payments
- Open the chat of the person you want to send money
- Now click on the attachments and then payments option
- If the person you want to send money is also a user of WhatsApp payments, a screen will be shown to you to send pr request money
- Enter the amount and tap next.
- Then you will be asked to enter your UPI pin. If you have not set up a pin then it will guide you to create.
- After you enter your UPI pin your payment is completed
- You can also request money by hitting the request option.
Another option is by tapping on QR code which is shown next to the user’s name. You can also tap on the new payment option at the bottom right corner.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date using the Gadget Bridge Android App.