The Online video sharing platform Youtube has begun testing a new feature on its platform that will allow users to capture and share some moments from other videos and live streams. This experimental feature is known as Clips that will be visible to the viewers on the channels. The clipping tool is currently available to limited creators only and they can click on this tool and choose a five-second to sixty-second segment from their videos and streams. The length of the clipping is adjustable using the slider. One can also put a title to the clips which can then further be shared across various social media platforms.
Similar to live streaming service Twitch, Youtube has rolled out an experimental took called Clips to its platform that will allow creators to shared small clipping from their videos and Livestream on their social media.
As per the YouTube support page, Clips is currently in limited alpha. Right now, a limited number of channels have the clips feature turned on for their channel. While Creators can’t sign up to participate in the alpha, we hope to roll out this feature soon.
Moreover, its support page also mentions that the Clips feature allows you to select and share a small portion (clip) of a Creator’s video with others. Clips can be 5–60 seconds in length and will play on a loop directly on the original video’s watch page. Both Creators and signed in viewers can create Clips to be shared, via a new URL. Clips can be shared on social channels or via direct communications (for example, email or text).
How to create and share a clip
- Start watching an eligible video on YouTube
- Under the video, click the clip icon
- A create clip box will appear.
- Select the section of the video you’d like to clip. You can increase (maximum of 60 seconds) or decrease (minimum of 5 seconds) the length of your selection by dragging the slider.
- Give the clip a title (max 140 characters).
- Click the SHARE CLIP button.
- A panel will appear, presenting different sharing options for you to use:
- Social networks: Click a social network icon (for example, Facebook or Twitter) to share the video there.
- Embed: Click the Embed button to generate a code you can use to embed the video in a website.
- Email: Choose the email icon to send an email using the default email software on your computer.
- Copy the link: Click the COPY button to copy a link to the video that you can paste somewhere else, like in an email message.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date using the Gadget Bridge Android App.