According to a recent report, Slack’s Android app unexpectedly started logging into users’ profiles via credentials in plain text. For security concerns, Slack Technologies started sending emails to the users asking them to change their account passwords. The email also informs them about the glitch and the chances of other apps of the affected smartphone accessing the credentials.
According to a report published by Android Police, Slack technologies deputies validated that the emails sent to the users were genuine and not auto-generated by phishing companies. Although the glitch might have affected only a small segment of Android users, for your privacy and security concerns, you should immediately reset your Slack password. Here is the simplest way to do it.
Table of Contents
How to change your Slack password?
You can’t change your password using the mobile app. However, you can change it on the web browser of your mobile or desktop by following these simple steps.
1) Log in to your Slack desktop or web application and select a workspace.
2) Click on your profile picture located in the top-right corner of the screen.
3) In the dropdown menu, click ‘View profile’.
4) Click the three dots labeled as ‘More’ on your profile that opens another options menu.
5) Select the ‘Account Settings’ option.
6) Now you will find a list of headings with ‘Password’ being on the top.
7) Click the ‘expand’ button located adjacent to the ‘Password’ heading.
8) In the box that opens, you can reset your password by entering your previous password followed by a new one.
9) If you fail to recall your old password, you can request a password reset link by email.
10) You need to repeat the above process for every workspace.
What to do after changing the password?
- Once the password is changed in the desktop application, you will need to manually clear the application data in the settings in your Android smartphone. This will log you off from the mobile app.
- Now, you need to clear the cache memory to erase all the cookies and the data you might have entered into the mobile application. To do this, you need to go to the ‘Storage’ option in the ‘Settings’ app. Within ‘Storage’, select ‘Storage & cache’. Tap ‘Clear storage’ to delete all the cache data related to the Android Slack application.
- Now, restart the app, you’ll be prompted to sign in where you can log in with your new password.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date with the Gadget Bridge Android App.