A laptop without a functioning keyboard is unimaginable. Hardship will be faced if the keyboard is not working. And the keyboard shortcuts make working on a laptop or PC easier and faster. There are some ways to fix keyboard shortcuts, if not working on a laptop or PC. You can follow the below methods.
Reset language in the keyboard setting
The change in the language usually interchanges all the keyboard settings. You can easily fix this problem by visiting the control panel and adding or removing a language. For example, the keyboard setting in (US English) keyboard and (UK English) is different. Hence changing the language in the setting will help to fix the keyboard shortcuts that are not working on your laptop or PC.
- Typesetting in the search bar on the bottom left corner
- Or manually open by clicking on the windows icon next to the search bar
- Go to language
- Scroll down to Add language
- Add you preference
- US english is common
- Make it primary and your keyboard shortcut will back to normal
Modify sticky keys
Sticky keys are features to make keyboard shortcuts easy to use. Sticky keys is a Windows feature that lets you press on a key at a time for shortcuts. If the keyboard shortcuts are not working, enabling or disabling the sticky keys will help.
- Go to the setting by clicking on the Windows icon
- Scroll down to Ease of Access
- Scroll down again till the end of the panel
- Under the interaction option of the left
- Find the Use sticky keys option
- Toggle it on, if it was off
- Toggle it off, if it was on
Reinstall keyboard driver
The driver powers and functions in the laptop or PC. So, reinstalling it can help with the problems of the keyboard shortcuts. Learn how to configure the driver in the steps below.
- Press Windows + R
- And type devmgmt.msc
- Search Keyboard device and right-click on it
- Then uninstall it
- To complete the process restart the computer
Run keyboard Troubleshooter
The troubleshooter function in the laptop can always diagnose the problem and fix it. Using the Windows troubleshooter you can fix the keyboard shortcut problem. Here are the steps.
- Click the Windows icon
- Go to settings
- Find update and security
- Select troubleshoot with the tool icon
- And navigate to keyboard click on it
- Now on the below troubleshooter, you will see “Run the troubleshooter”
- It will detect the problem and click on fix it
Re-enable Windows Hotkeys
Another method to fix the keyboard shortcut problem is reenabling the Windows Hotkeys. Learn how to enable the Hotkeys below
- Go to the bottom left corner of the screen and press right-click
- Click Run
- And type gpedit.msc
- On the panel of Local Group Policy Editor Window
- Select User configuration
- Go to administrative templates
- Now windows component
- And last file explorer
- You can now turn off Windows Key Hotkeys
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date using the Gadget Bridge Android App.