Storing all your WhatsApp chats and files online is important. It will help backup all your data without the fear of losing it. But restoring it can get complicated for users. By following a few simple steps given below you will be able to restore the WhatsApp backup successfully.
Using Google drive backup
If you are changing to a new phone and restoring all your backup, all it takes is an easy few steps. You need to use your Google Drive account and you can easily restore the backup. The steps below will show you how. Most important note, you will need the same phone number and the same Google account to restore. Using google drive to restore backup works even when you want to uninstall and reinstall the WhatsApp app on the same phone. Let us get started with the steps. (But make sure you have taken a backup from the previous smartphone onto your Google Drive)
- Install the Whatsapp (Changing the phone) or reinstall the app (Same phone)
- Open Whatsapp
- Verify your number
- Restore Backup page in settings (or will show on the screen as a check box): Hit restore
- The restoration process will start
- After completion press next
- All media will automatically be restored via Google drive:
Read more: How to create a backup of and permanently delete your Google account?
From local backup
To restore your files from local backup. First, you need to save all the WhatsApp media files to your new phone via a computer, or SD card. After you have completed transferring all files to your new mobile. You will be able to restore all media files and chat from your previous WhatsApp account. Your phone will be able to restore backup files from the last seven days. Follow the steps to know how to backup from local backup.
- First, you need to save all the media files on your new phone
- Use a File manager to access the media files
- Locate the saved backed files> WhatsApp files
- Make sure the Media files had been transferred to your new phone
- Install WhatsApp now
- Enter your phone number associated with the WhatsApp account and verify
- Select restore on the screen
- The app will now load and search for the local backup file saved on your new phone
- In a minute you will be able to restore all your backup
Read also: WhatsApp is said to be working on password-protected encrypted chat backups feature: What is it all about?
The steps given above will help you in the right way to restore WhatsApp chats. If you are changing to a new phone or reinstalling WhatsApp on the same phone, you can use the above steps.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date using the Gadget Bridge Android App.