Google allows its users to access all its services like Gmail, YouTube, Chrome, and Google Meet through a single account. This enables you to utilise all your content and subscriptions across different devices without hassle. When you decide to delete your Google account, Google ensures that the entire data related to the services utilised by you is securely deleted.
What happens when you delete your Google account?
Once you delete your Google account, you meet the following outcomes.
- You won’t be able to access any data related to your account including your emails and photos.
- You won’t be able to sign in to Google services or other websites using the deleted Google account.
- You will lose access to the content you bought or subscribed to using with that Google account.
How to create a backup of your Google account data before closing it?
Google Takeout enables users to save the data linked to their Google account across all Google services like Chrome, Drive, Photos, and Hangouts. The Takeout service exports the entire data into an archive file that you can download and keep on your device.
To create a backup of your Google account, follow these steps.
- Go to the Google Takeout website (https://takeout.google.com/) and sign in with your Google account.
- Scroll through the list of all Google services. Here you can select the services that data of which you want to download.
- Click Next Step located at the bottom of the page.
- Here you can choose the method you follow to save your data. You may choose another cloud storage service like OneDrive and Dropbox to transfer your data to. You may also choose to receive a link to download your data via email.
- Choose the Export once option and select the format of the archive file you want to download.
- Click Create export to begin exporting your Google data.
The time to export your Google data will depend on its size. Generally, it takes a few hours to a few days to gather the entire data.
How to shut down your Google account?
Once your Google data is saved on your desired storage, you may go ahead with account deletion. To permanently close your Google account, follow these steps.
- Sign in to the Google Account website (https://myaccount.google.com/u/0/data-and-personalization?pli=1).
- Click the Data & personalization option given on the left portion.
- Go to Download or delete your data > Delete a service or your account > Delete your account.
- You will be prompted to log in to your account again.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and check the boxes to give your consent for account deletion.
- Click the Delete Account button to permanently close your Google account.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date with the Gadget Bridge Android App.