Last month, Samsung launched its latest flagship phablet Galaxy Note 9 with a massive 4,000mAh battery. And before anybody could recall the Galaxy Note 7 debacle that happened in 2016, CEO DJ Koh clarified that Samsung Galaxy Note 9’s battery is completely safe. He was quoted saying about the battery that engineers at Samsung had full confidence in its safety. He further said that users of Samsung Galaxy Note 9 did not have to worry about the battery at all.
But Samsung Galaxy Note 9’s battery seems to have gotten trouble for the company just a month after the phablet was launched. A woman has reportedly claimed that her Samsung Galaxy Note 9 caught fire inside her purse.
According to a report in New York Post, Diane Chung, resident of Long Island has filed a lawsuit against the technology giant that alleges that her Samsung Galaxy Note 9 burst into flames inside her purse while she was in an elevator of Bayside building.
After her phone became extremely hot while she was in the elevator, Chung stopped using it and kept it inside her bag. The report further states that she heard ‘whistling’ and ‘screeching’ sounds from her bag, which was followed by smoke coming out of it.
According to the lawsuit, when she tried to put her bag on the floor to empty it, she burnt her fingers and because the smoke was so thick, her visibility was also compromised.
She kicked the phone out of the elevator once it reached the lobby and the door opened. This ended when a ‘good Samaritan’ took note of the burning smartphone and put it in a bucket of water.
Chung has described the entire incident as ‘traumatic.’ She even went on to disclose that the fire that erupted spoiled everything else that was kept in her purse.
With her lawsuit, Chung is demanding unspecified damages and wants Samsung Galaxy Note 9 sales to be stopped.
New York Post also quoted Samsung speaking on the matter. The company reportedly said, “We have not received any reports of similar incidents involving a Galaxy Note 9 device and we are investigating the matter.”
Back in 2016, Samsung Galaxy Note 7 had to be recalled after a number of units exploded in different parts of the world. The reason behind these explosions was a fault in the battery of the phablet by Samsung.