Google Maps is probably one of the most used services of Google after YouTube and Gmail. It is also one among the biggest map platforms in the world today. What makes Google Maps such a widely used application is its ease of use and the number of features that it offers its users. Anyone can use the Google Maps – from a child in school to an old man – as it is very simple and straight forward. But there are other features which you can use to make your travel more easier and hassle free. Here we are listing down three features which you can use on Google Maps to make the most of it:
Table of Contents
Using a traffic layer over your Google Maps
This feature can be used to identify and find out the most convenient way to your destination. This feature is based on the traffic conditions of the area you are travelling to or currently are on. For each kind of traffic condition, Google Maps will show a certain colour to show you the speed of the traffic. Here’s how to use it:
- Open Google Maps and create your route by entering your destination and current location.
- Then, choose the means of transportation (car, bike, foot etc.). Once it is done, the shortest route will be shown to you.
- After that, you will be shown two buttons – Step-by-Step and Show Traffic button. Click on the Show Traffic button.
- Once it is done, the traffic layer will be applied to your route. You will then be able to see how much traffic is there on the route.
- Keep in mind that Green colour is for roads where speed is normal, red means the traffic speed is low, grey means no data is available.
Using Google Maps for getting directions on Public Transit
This feature can be used to get directions of a public transit in a busy metropolitan. By using this feature, you can plan a trip for trains, airplanes or bus. Here’s how to use it:
- Enter your destination and current location after opening Google Maps.
- Choose either train or plane shaped icon at the means of transport menu. Once chosen, multiple routes will appear on the map from your location to destination.
- Then, you can choose the route that you think will be the best according to your needs.
- Keep in mind that this feature is not available for all the locations and it will work in some areas and locations/ countries only.
Using Google Maps offline
Google Maps uses data to guide the user from one place to the other but there might be times when you are just not in the place where data connection is available. Or maybe you are somewhere where your data connection is not working. For such times, you would need to use Google Maps offline. To use Google Maps offline follow these steps:
- First you need to open Google Maps and search for the address you want. Once the address is found, click on Settings.
- Once it is done, click on ‘Make available offline’ option. This will download the map for you.
- Once the map is downloaded, it will bring up an area selector which can be maximized and minimized. Then you can save the map. This will download the map of the location you have marked.
However, it should be noted that first you would need an internet connection to make the maps download the area on your device. The downloaded area of the map can be used later as an offline map.