DroidCam is an application that enables you to use the camera of your Android device as a webcam. It works with a PC client to connect your Android device with your PC.
Who needs to use an Android device as a webcam?
Nowadays, devices like smartphones and tablets come equipped with high-quality cameras. Some premium phones can even deliver camera quality comparable to professional cameras. If you want to achieve a high video capturing quality, you should utilise the camera installed in your smartphone. Moreover, it saves the effort and cost of buying a piece of additional equipment.
How to use an Android device as a webcam with Droidcam?
To use your Android device as a webcam using the Droidcam app, follow these steps.
- Download and install the free version of DroidCam from the Play Store (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dev47apps.droidcam&hl=en_IN&gl=US).
- Now install the desktop version of the app on your computer. During installation, permit the app to install the required audio drivers.
- As soon as the Windows app is running, you’ll see available options to connect your device, namely through USB or wirelessly.
- In the box below the options, enter the IP Address of your Android device. To know the IP Address, launch the DroidCam application on your Android device.
- In the desktop application, check the boxes for audio and video. The feature that you keep unchecked will be disabled.
- In your Android application, launch the settings by tapping the three vertical dots located in the top-right
- In the Camera section, choose between the rear or the selfie camera to use as the webcam. Leave the other settings as default.
- Go to the desktop application and press Start to build the connection.
- Start the desired video-conferencing application like Google Meet, Microsoft Teams, and Cisco Webex.
- Go to the video settings within the video-conferencing application and choose ‘DroidCam Source 2’ or ‘DroidCam Source 3’.
- Likewise, go to the microphone section and select ‘DroidCam Virtual Audio’.
You must note that your Android device should be fixed firmly at an appropriate angle to clearly capture the video. The advantage of using DroidCam is that it’s totally free and offers unlimited video capturing without watermarks.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date with the Gadget Bridge Android App.