Ever since the COVID-19 pandemic, Google Maps has revealed that there has been surge in requests for cycling directions. Therefore, Google Maps are constantly updating this information to help you uncover the most reliable bike route. Google Maps docked bikeshare direction is now introduced in 10 cities.
Now cyclist will see end-to-end directions that include docked bikeshare information while looking for bike directions. Steps will include:
- Detailed walking directions to bikeshare stations near your starting point along with live bike availability
- Turn-by-turn cycling directions to the bikeshare station closest to your destination with live dock availability
- Finally, walking directions from there to your final destination
For some cities, Google Maps will show you links to open the relevant bikeshare app to book and unlock the bike.
In order to roll out this docked bikeshare directions feature on the Maps, Google has collaborated with Ito World and bikeshare partners around the world. “We’re actively working with additional partners to bring this functionality to more cities in the coming months,” said Vishal Dutta, Product Manager, Google Maps.
Initially, Google Maps will introduce this docked bikeshare directions in these 10 cities:
- Chicago, U.S. (Divvy/Lyft)
- New York City, U.S. (Citi Bike/Lyft)
- San Francisco Bay Area, U.S. (Bay Wheels/Lyft)
- Washington, DC, U.S. (Capital Bikeshare/Lyft)
- London, England (Santander Cycles/TfL)
- Mexico City, Mexico (Ecobici)
- Montreal, Canada (BIXI/Lyft)
- Rio De Janeiro, Brazil (Bike Itaú)
- São Paulo, Brazil (Bike Itaú)
- Taipei and New Taipei City, Taiwan (YouBike)
For riders opting to use bike sharing, Google is now providing more detailed information. “Over the last several years, we’ve launched a dockless bike and scooter integration with Lime in more than 100 cities and introduced real-time docked bikeshare information to help travellers in select cities locate bike sharing stations and real-time availability. With bikeshare providers seeing sharp increases in usage during COVID-19, it’s even more important to quickly and easily check how many bikes are available at the station you’re headed toward and if there are docks available to drop off your bike near your destination,” added Dutta.
With any mode of transportation right now, cleanliness and safety are top of mind. All of Google’s bikeshare partners have taken steps to increase their cleaning protocols during COVID-19. The tech giant also alerts the cyclist to to learn about the latest safety measures their local bikeshare partner is practising. At the same time, it also request the cyclists to follow local health and safety guidelines.
Meanwhile, Google has also reported that the worldwide search interest for “bike repair near me” hit an all-time high in the month of July—more than double what it was during the same period last year.
Mind you! Google had introduced biking directions in Google Maps ten years ago and now it’s available in nearly 30 countries around the world and millions of people use it every day.
For the latest gadget and tech news, and gadget reviews, follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For newest tech & gadget videos subscribe to our YouTube Channel. You can also stay up to date with the Gadget Bridge Android App.