With the new iPhone series set to launch on 7th September, we thought it would be a good idea to walk you through the storage capacity on offer and decide which one is most suited for your needs. With new iPhones coming out every year, some users are also left wondering whether it is time to upgrade their current iPhones. We tackle this question as well and explain how often you should change or upgrade your iPhone.
Table of Contents
How much iPhone storage do you need?
There is no ‘ideal’ storage for an iPhone. The iPhone storage you opt for is entirely dependent upon what you use your iPhone for. Before buying a new iPhone you should be clear about what you want out of it. Apple does not offer expandable memory for its devices, so once you buy an iPhone you’re stuck with the storage space until you upgrade your device.
Currently, Apple offers iPhones with a storage capacity of 64GB (iPhone SE) all the way to 1TB (iPhone 13 Pro Max). So which one is the best for you?
- 64GB: Simply put, 64GB is just not enough for average smartphone use. The iOS updates and app data will take up a sizeable portion of the storage stuff, leaving you with very little space to store your files, pictures, videos, and emails. With this amount of storage space, you will find yourself being heavily dependent on cloud storage. We would only recommend 64GB storage to people who want a phone for very light use outside of the basic functions, or if they’re looking for a secondary phone to go with their primary driver.
- 128GB: 128GB of storage space is ideal for moderate use. You wouldn’t have to worry about running out of space while taking pictures or downloading apps on your phone, but if you plan on recording and storing a lot of 4k videos on your phone or playing heavy games like Apex Legends and Call of Duty, 128GB of storage space just won’t cut it. If you’re a vlogger and use the iPhone as your primary shooting camera, you would want to switch to a better storage model.
- 256GB: For regular users, 256GB is more than necessary. You’ll barely find yourself using cloud storage for pictures and other media. You would also be able to store tons of music and movies offline on your device. You can even download multiple console-quality games like Fortnite, Apex Legends, and Genshin Impact. If you spend a lot of time on your phone, this is the storage space you should be looking for.
- 512GB: If you’re a content creator who shoots videos using the iPhone camera, 512GB of storage space should be ideal for you. You can store all your vlog footage in 4k without having to be overly reliant on cloud storage. This spec is recommended for users who plan on creating content for TikTok, Instagram Reels, and YouTube.
- 1TB: For most users, 1TB of storage space is overkill. You can save up a lot of money by going for smaller storage space. But if you plan on using the iPhone for professional use, this storage capacity is ideal for you. With 1TB of storage, you will be able to store tons of footage shot in Apple ProRAW and ProRes format.
How often should I change my iPhone?
With new iPhones coming out every year, it is quite easy to give in to temptation and buy the latest one on offer. While using a new iPhone with all its updated features is always a pleasant experience, most users like to stick with their smartphone until it is absolutely necessary to get an upgrade. If you’re wondering whether you should change or upgrade your iPhone, here are some signs you can look out for.
- Your iPhone has stopped getting software updates: Usually, Apple is pretty consistent with rolling out new software updates for old iPhones. Some iPhone models have even gotten updates for five to six years, which is more than most Android devices. Once your phone stops receiving software updates, it becomes more vulnerable to malware and security threats. While it may still work fine without a software update, you should consider upgrading to a newer iPhone.
- The battery doesn’t last that long: Over a period of time, the battery on your iPhone starts draining faster. You can check your iPhone’s battery capacity by going to Settings>Battery>Battery Health. Your iPhone will give you a measure of current battery capacity compared to when it was new. The battery capacity steadily drops over time, and if you find yourself charging your iPhone multiple times a day, it might be time to make the switch to a new iPhone.
- Looking for new features?: With new iPhones rolling out every year, their ability and features are also constantly expanding. If you’re using an iPhone that is a few years old, it may not have 5G connectivity or superior water resistance. If any of the new features interest you, you should think of changing your iPhone.
- New accessories don’t work: While Apple offers its best to offer backwards compatibility for most of its accessories, you may find yourself missing out on the new products if your iPhone is way too old. Products like AirPods and lightning pin connectors may not work with your iPhone. Buying a new iPhone is much easier and eventually more cost-effective than purchasing compatible accessories online.
- Camera quality drops down: It is no secret that the camera quality of the iPhone drops down significantly with extensive use over a period of time. With Apple equipping the iPhone with new and more powerful cameras every year, the difference in the quality of pictures is night and day. If you’re a photography enthusiast, you may want to get the new iPhone every two or three years.
- iPhone has sustained some damage: Depending on the severity of the damage, you can make a call whether buying a new iPhone would be cheaper than repairing the damaged one. Sometimes the costs add up to the extent that you’re better off buying a new iPhone. Sometimes even a small drop can damage multiple parts of your phone including the screen, cameras, and the lock button. In this scenario, you should look into buying a new iPhone.
This was our complete guide to the iPhone storage you need and when it is time to change or upgrade your iPhone. We hope you found it useful. The new iPhone is set to be released on 7th September, and this guide will help you decide whether you need to upgrade your current iPhone, and which storage capacity you should go for. Some dealers also offer lucrative exchange offers, where you can deal your current phone in and get a discount on the new iPhone.